Business Certificates

2024 Renewal Letters Have Been Mailed

If you hold an active Business License for 2023, renewal notices were sent out November 7. Please review your notice and return a completed Renewal Application along with a 34.00 certificate fee by December 31st.

*If no renewal notice was received, it is the responsibility of the business owner to contact the city and follow up on the renewal process*

All businesses that operate within the Solvang city limits should have a valid City of Solvang issued Business Certificate. Business Certificates are $34.00 and must be renewed annually.

Existing Businesses

Renewal Business Certificate Application
Businesses with a current Business Certificate will receive a renewal notice in the mail in November. Business Certificate renewals are due by December 31, 2023. If you do not receive a Business Certificate renewal from the City, you can mail or drop off the above application completed and accompanied by a 34.00 certificate fee. The city accepts cash or checks made payable to the "City of Solvang". Business Certificate renewal fees can be returned to:

Attn: Madi Bramsen
1644 Oak Street
Solvang, CA 93463

New Businesses

New Business Certificate Applicant Packet

To obtain a new Business Certificate, please complete the following:

1) Complete and sign an application.

2) If your business will be physically located within the Solvang city limits, take the completed application to the City Planning Department at 411 Second Street for review and approval. The Planning Department confirms your business physical location is zoned appropriately for your business.

3) Bring your application and payment ($34.00 in cash or check) to City Hall to 1644 Oak Street in Solvang.  New Business Certificates will be mailed within 30 days.

4) Review the information and applicable laws below.

Home Based Business
If your business is based out of the home, it will also require a
Home Occupation Permit, (in addition to a Business Certificate) unless the business meets the criteria for an Exemption. In order to qualify for an exemption, 

1)  The home occupation shall be conducted in only one room of the dwelling portion of the building not including garages or converted garages.

2)  The home occupation shall not require any structural alterations of the dwelling, and the existence of the home occupation shall not be apparent beyond the boundaries of the property.

3)  The home occupation shall be conducted solely by the dwelling occupants.

4)  No displays, delivery of merchandise or advertising signs shall be permitted on the premises.

5)  A maximum of five (5) customers, patients, clients, students or other persons served by the home occupation shall be permitted on the premises simultaneously.

6)  A home occupation shall not create any radio or television interference or create noise audible beyond the boundaries of the premises.

7)  No smoke or odor shall be emitted.

8)  There shall be no outdoor storage of materials related to the home occupation.

9)  No vehicles or trailers except those incidental to the residential use shall be kept on the premises.

10)  The home occupation shall be strictly secondary and subordinate to the primary residential use and shall not change or detrimentally affect the residential character of the dwelling, premises or neighborhood. (Ord. 90-112, 7-23-1990)

Disability Access Law
California Government Code Section 4467 requires the City of Solvang to collect an additional $4.00 with the Business Certificate fee. We are also required to notify all business that under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

Mandatory Commercial Recycling
California Public Resources Code Section 42649.2 requires a business that generates four cubic yards or more of commercial solid waste per week, or is a multifamily residential dwelling of five units or more, shall arrange for recycling services. A business can utilize one, or any combination of the following in order to reuse, recycle, compost or otherwise divert solid waste from disposal:

1) Self haul
2) Subscribe to an approved hauler services
3) Arrange for the pickup of recyclable materials
4) Subscribe to an approved recycling service that may include mixed waste processing that yields diversion results comparable to source separation.

A property owner of a commercial business or multifamily residential dwelling may require tenants to source separate their recyclable material to aid in compliance with the law.

Tenant Improvements
If you plan to do any tenant improvements, please contact the City of Solvang Building Department staff for any required permits or additional information, at 805-688-5575.

Public Information
Your business certificate is a public record and the information provided in your business certificate application is subject to disclosure under the California Public Records Act, except financial information, social security or tax ID numbers, and other information as specifically exempted under the Act.

If you have any questions regarding Business Certificates, please contact the City at 805-688-5575.